By order of the Provincial Health Officer we have had to make some changes to the COVID-19 Safety Plan an Return to Play Protocol.
The following statement overrides any protocols previously listed in our plans.
From December 2, 2020, the Province of BC have added additional restrictions for sport with the intention to limit the risk of COVID-19 transmission from indoor group activities.
“All indoor adult team sport is also prohibited. This includes basketball, cheerleading, combat sports, martial arts, floor hockey, floor ringette, ice hockey, ringette, netball, skating, soccer, squash and volleyball. Structured child and youth programs and sport are permitted, but must meet and follow the ViaSport Phase 2 requirements.”
For volleyball this means that:
- All adult indoor volleyball is prohibited
- All youth volleyball programming is permitted but must meet Volleyball BC’s Transition Measures (Phase 2) in the Return to Play Plan which include the following requirements:
- Activities must be limited to skills development and those that permit physical distancing at all times (eg. individual serving, passing, attacking practice)
- No competitive volleyball as this does not permit social distancing.
- Participants must maintain social distancing at all times on and off the court.
- There must be no more than 6 individuals per court (3 per side).
- No blocking at the net.
- For all Transition Measure requirements see Appendix 2 of our Return to Volleyball Plan
- All games and competitions are suspended until further notice.
As a reminder, the following requirements are also still in place:
- There can be no spectators at any sport activities. The only people allowed to attend sport activities are those that provide care to a participant or player. For example, providing first aid.
- Non-essential travel should be restricted. Travel to, from and between communities for team athletic activities is prohibited.
- Masks are now required for everyone in all indoor public settings, including recreation centres. During this order, please follow all facility protocols about the use of masks. We also strongly recommend that coaches, referees, and staff/volunteers wear a mask at all times and that players wear masks at all times to and from the court.